Saturday, July 11, 2009

An Ode to Ice Cream



Whatcha' doin' ice cream?


Being the most delicious thing in the world.


Oh, thanks for doing that.

You're the best.


And I love you.




Ice cream is my favorite food in the world. I can't resist the call of its silky texture, cool refreshment, and sweet deliciousness. The top photo is of a batch of red velvet ice cream that I made. Since I've never seen red velvet ice cream at any shop or restaurant, I think I invented it. Actually, it was so delicious that I think it used me to invent itself. Anyways, the basic idea is to take a vanilla ice cream base and after churning, mix in chunks of red velvet cake, and swirl in ribbons of cream cheese frosting. Here are the recipes for the components:

Red Velvet Cake
yield: 2 9" rounds
2 3/4 c. + 1 T sifted cake flour (or 2 1/2 c. AP flour)
2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 oz. red food coloring
1 1/2 T water
8 oz. softened butter
2 c. sugar
3 ea eggs
1 1/2 t. van x
1 c. buttermilk
1) Sift dries
2) Make a paste with the cocoa powder, coloring, and water
3) Beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes
4) Add eggs and vanilla
5) Add the paste
6) Add the buttermilk, alternating with the dries (*avoid overworking)
7) Bake at 350ยบ for about 30 minutes


Cream Cheese Frosting

3/4 c. butter
1# cream cheese, softened
1# 10x, sifted
2 T milk


Vanilla Ice Cream
from: Farallon, probably developed by Emily Luchetti

2 c. Milk
1 c. Cream
1 ea. vanilla beans
5 yolks
1 1/2 c. sugar
pinch salt

The second picture is of Peach-Buttermilk Sherbet. A very delicious summer treat. Oooh Idea! I bet it'd be good with champagne poured over it.
The third picture is of an awesome gelateria. Since I am half-Italian, I am biased in my belief that the best gelaterie are in Italy. But his one happens to be in Austria! It is Zanoni Zanoni Gelateria in Vienna, Austria. Look at the gelato piled high! What heaven. I went there when I was 21 and traveling with Paul and Rachel, and we were hardly eating because we had no money. This was such a splurge. It was like a beautiful oasis in a desert of bread and cheese (which was also delicious, but not as delicious as ice cream).
The fourth picture is of the famous Buy Right Creamery on 18th St. in San Francisco. I always go with friends here because they make waiting in the ever-present line not so bad. I think on that particular day I was eating coffee-toffee, but I always change it up.
And the last picture is of a mini ice cream cone that I made at Zuni when I worked there using Jen's pizzelle mold. Isn't it adorable!

2 comments:

jody casey said...

I scream, you scream, we all scream for....Megan!!!!

We love you and the things you love,
Mom and Sis

Paul Shabsis said...

I remember Marius told us to go to Zanoni Zanoni. Also for hundreds of years the Hapsburgs' (Austrian Empire) ruled over most of Northern Italy so this is why it is possible to have an amazing gelateria in Vienna.