Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Figs and Family



Figs make me think of my nonno. He has 4 fig trees around his house (2 in the front yard and 2 in the back). They've been there since I was born so for me, they've always been there. He has both black and white figs as he calls them, but I think they are Missions and Kadotas. I remember when I was a little girl I wouldn't eat the figs because the insides looked like they were full of worms. Now, however, I can't resist them! We are able to pick figs from my nonno's trees twice a year, once in June and again in August. These are pictures from the first coming of the figs this year, 2009. I can't wait for August!




When we get so many figs we don't know what to do with them, my nonno dries them. He puts them in jars with powdered sugar and they become a delicious sweet snack for the rest of the year.

No comments: