Tuesday, July 01, 2008

How I Develop Recipes

I always have ideas for new cupcookie flavors running through my head, so I love it when I have the time to test out some recipes.

Here's how I go about it:
1. I get an idea for a cookie/frosting combo.
-I have already developed great recipes for most of the common cookies like chocolate chip and peanut butter, so now I am on to less "mainstream" cookie types. Today I tried lemon-cornmeal cookies and mexican wedding cookies.
-After deciding on the cookie, I think of what frosting would go well with it. I paired lemon buttercream with the lemon-cornmeal, and I paired caramel buttercream with the mexican wedding cookies. The caramel idea was inspired by dulce de leche.

2. I start on the cookies: I get a basic recipe to start with. I look at it and make any changes I see fit. I keep in mind that it will be eaten with frosting, which is sweet. I also keep in mind that I want it to have the texture of a cookie and not a cake (some cookie recipes can be pretty cake-like when you bake them in mini-cupcake molds). Then I make a small batch and bake it. Usually the cookies are good, but not the best they could be. So then I make some changes and try again and again until...yay! It's a winner!

3. I make the frosting: I start with my basic buttercream. I then divide it into the same number of bowls as kinds of frosting that I will be making. Today it was 2: lemon and caramel.
-To make lemon, I added lemon curd that I had made. I start by adding an amount smaller than what I think will be enough. Then I taste a small bit and add more. I taste, add, taste, and add until I have the right taste. Sometimes I'll add sugar or even a pinch of salt.
-To make the caramel flavor, I did the same process but with a thick caramel sauce that I had made.

4. Then I pipe the frosting on the cookies and do the final taste test. Sometimes they aren't quite right and I'll either have to make a change or start over. But most of the time, they taste delicious! I also take a look and see if they are visually appealing. I may add a garnish.

5. Then I make sure to sit down with a cup of coffee and eat a whole one...for testing purposes of course.

And that's it! I love the creativity of it.

Here are some pictures of me and the process:


( I tried a chocolate recipe too which you can see in the picture)

Here are pictures of my finished products:
Lemon-cornmeal cupcookies with lemon frosting


Mexican wedding cupcookies with caramel frosting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog could be more exciting if you can create another topic that everyone can relate on.

Megan, Freelance Baking said...

What do you mean philipine? Do you mean recipe development for a more well-known baked good?

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.